- Agricultural animal operations shall not allow animals in confined areas to have uncontrolled access to waters of the state.
- Manure storage areas shall be located at least 100 linear feet from waters of the state.
- Land application of animal waste shall be performed in accordance with the principles of the NJDA Best Management Practices (BMP) Manual.
- Dead animals and related animal waste resulting from a reportable contagious disease or an act of bio-terrorism shall not be disposed of without first contacting the State Veterinarian.
- Any person entering a farm to conduct official business related to these rules shall follow bio-security protocols.
The Department of Agriculture will investigate alleged violations of the rules and take appropriate action, which may include fines of up to $ 1,000 per day for each violation as determined. The Department may allow the owner or operator up to 60 days to address or correct the non-compliance before imposing penalties.
According to New Jersey Statute (N.J.S.A. 4:1C) farmers must comply with all relevant federal and state statutes and regulations in order to maintain "Right to Farm Protection." New Jersey's Right to Farm Act protects responsible commercial farmers from public and private nuisance actions and unduly restrictive municipal regulations. Failure to comply with the Animal Waste Management Rule may result in loss of these protections.
It is not too late to complete your AWMP plans or begin work on any needed BMP's. Rutgers Cooperative Extension has provided training for livestock farmers since the initiation of the rule back in March of 2009. Extension offices will be available for assistance with compliance questions and will schedule individual meetings as needed. Please follow this link for more information Rutgers Animal Waste Management Resources.
You may also contact the following Extension offices for additional information.
Burlington County Extension Office 609-265-5050
Hunterdon County Extension Office 908-788-1338
Salem County Extension Office 856-769-0090
Sussex County Extension Office 973-948-3040
A list of Extension offices and contact information may be found at: http://njaes.rutgers.edu/county/.